Autumn warning for dog owners over poisonous nuts and mushrooms

Acorns and horse chestnuts that fall to the ground might look attractive as a snack for your canine companion, but they could be very bad for their health.

0
428
File picture of dog in autumn leaves.

Dog owners are being warned to watch out that their dog doesn’t eat acorns, chestnuts or mushrooms in the forest during the autumn months.

Agria pet insurance agency says these items are bad for canines, and could cause some unfortunate symptoms or even require a trip to the vet’s office.

Acorns contain tannin and in large quantities they will poison your pet. In most cases however the dog may just start to vomit or have diarrhea but not all dogs get the symptoms.

Horse chestnuts which are also falling from trees at this time of year can be dangerous to dogs when eaten in large enough quantities.

Typical symptoms include increase salivation, vomiting, loss of appetite and diarrhea – and possibly even listlessness or problems with the animal’s nervous system.

Acorns and horse chestnuts can be dangerous for small animals because of their size, and the risk of getting lodged in the bowel causing an obstruction.

Beware of mushrooms in the forest 

Anyone taking their dog into the forest to gather mushrooms should also beware about what the animal is eating.

As a general rule of thumb, Agria says that if a mushroom is dangerous for humans it’s dangerous for your dog as well.

Some symptoms might not appear for a few days but can include vomiting and diarrhea and if possible, take a sample of the mushroom that the dog has eaten to the vet with you.